The Bridgerton Series (1-4) by Julia Quinn


After finally watching the Bridgerton show on Netflix, I just knew I would not be able to wait for the rest of the seasons to come out.  Instead, I dove headfirst into the source material!  Let me tell you, these books did not disappoint.  While I do usually like to read the book first and then watch the movie or show based on the books, I did decide to watch Bridgerton first at the suggestion of several friends.  My preferences tend to lean more towards the books but in this case, I think the show is what hooked my interest in the books.  It certainly motivated me to read the books faster, as eager as I was to know what is meant to happen.  So without further ado, here are my mini-reviews of the first four Bridgerton books.

The Duke and I

Because I watched the show first, my opinion on the book is slightly more skewed than my thoughts on books 3-8.  I will say I do enjoy the writing, and the book obviously has different scenes and more in depth looks into each character.  I did like getting to know Daphne and Simon, as well as the whole Bridgerton family, through the lens of Julia Quinn rather than through the actors and producers of the show.  That said, I think this first book in the series is a little lackluster.  Daphne is very subdued with little-to-no stand out moments on the page.  Simon also seemed much more generic in the way his story is told.  It was a good book, but without the show I don't think it is one I would recommend.


The Viscount Who Loved Me

Again, I watched season 2 of Bridgerton before reading the second book, so keep that in mind.  I ADORED the second season of the show, even more so than the first.  But *SPOILERS* the show has a storyline I think they could have done without; sisters Kate and Edwina are both falling in love with Anthony Bridgerton.  In the show, this made things complicated and messy and dramatic, and while it made for good TV, I felt it was entirely unnecessary.  When reading the book, I was happy to discover that this drama was not such a focus of the original source.  I also enjoyed that we got much more of Kate and Anthony's story, continued past what we see at the season ending.  Anthony in particular was a compelling character in the show but the book blew that out of the water.  We learn so much more about the viscount and his motivations and fears, and to complete the couple we dig more fully into Kate's background as well.  I was awed by how much there was to these characters beyond the show (again, I couldn't say the same about Daphne and Simon).  I definitely enjoyed this book.


An Offer from a Gentleman

Benedict is only somewhat present in the show, so I was not sure what to expect from his book.  While he is a gentleman of good character and plenty of charm, he does not stand out to me whether it is on the page or on the screen.  I thought his story was well-written but lacking in terms of the plot.  As intriguing as Sophie's character is, she couldn't carry it through on her own.  And let's just be honest here.  It's essentially a Cinderella retelling.  Which I do love... but not in the middle of a series, not when none of the other books could be construed as retellings, and not when the previous two books were so unique in their storytelling.  While it was a good book, it felt out of place and dull in comparison to the rest of the series.


Romancing Mister Bridgerton

After watching the show, this story was the one I really wanted to dig into.  Penelope is such a compelling character in the show, and Colin has boyish charm I was hoping would grow into more in the books.  I was not disappointed.  Though they are family friends, these two learn a lot about each other over the course of the book, discovering things they never knew and reawakening old feelings.  I love Penelope's carefree acceptance of her life, and on the flip side, Colin's determination to improve her situation.  These two have some of the best chemistry in the series, and I really enjoyed finally reading their story!  They are the focus of season 3 of the Netflix series, and I am excited for how their relationship will translate to the screen.


I loved these books, and thought that overall the series definitely lives up to the hype.  I'll be reviewing the other four books in this same style soon so keep an eye out for that post, and in the meantime pick up a copy of these books and go check out the Netflix show!

Comments

Top Posts

Reluctantly Yours by Erin Hawkins

Hello!

Bravely by Maggie Stiefvater