The Martian by Andy Weir (Movie vs. Book)

There is a huge debate in the literary world and book lovers are extremely vehement about defending their side (which is of course the correct side).  The question?  Book vs. movie.

As book lovers, we've been burned before.  The Percy Jackson movies were honestly a wreck, and extremely disappointing after all the time I devote to loving those books with my whole heart.  Hunger Games can go either way really, because a lot of it was correctly done, but at the same time there were definitely changes made.  Harry Potter is iconic, and personally I feel like it's one of the best to movie transitions every (although extreme fans will point out inconsistencies, such as Lily and Harry's eyes).  And of course there was this scene...
Image found on google.com
So the point is, there are a lot of different ways a movie adaptation of a book can go.  It can be good, it can be the bane of the bookworm's existence.  In some rare cases, it can be neither, and go from a good book to a good movie, with nothing spectacular about it.

I have one exception.
Image from google.com
Image from IMDB.com
The Martian, originally a novel by Andy Weir, was released as a movie (starring Matt Damon) in 2015.  I will admit, I wasn't enthusiastic about this movie.  I generally don't watch space movies, because generally they don't interest me.  I actually probably wouldn't have watched The Martian at all if I hadn't been at a friend's house when she wanted to watch it.  And I loved it.  Absolutely amazing and really funny but with tension and dangerous elements.  (Spoiler: The main character is literally stranded on Mars.)  The main character, Mark Watney, gets left behind because he was presumed dead, and he basically has to find a way to survive.  Not only do we watch him figure this out with science that I didn't understand (Yay English majors!), but he's a funny guy.  There are tons of quips and jokes in here - the movie is literally comedic gold.  Some quotes include:
Image from Pinterest.com
So yeah.  It's great, 10/10 would recommend.  And get this, the movie is pretty much the book word for word.  I'm going to be honest, usually if a movie is based on a book, I will wait until after I've read the book to watch the movie.  In this case, I accidentally did it in the wrong order, mostly because I didn't know there was a book.  (Like I said, this movie wasn't necessarily on my radar.)  But nearly two years after watching the movie, I read the book and could see each scene play out exactly like they did it in the movie.  Honestly, this book-to-movie adaptation was done right.



Comments

Top Posts

Reluctantly Yours by Erin Hawkins

Hello!

Bravely by Maggie Stiefvater