5 Star Reads of 2022 (so far)

 Well we've made it through six months of the year, and I thought now would be a good time to share my top reads of the year so far.  Below are my 5 star reads from the past six months.  Some are re-reads, some are new to me, all were amazing!  If you would like to follow along with my reading progress, don't be shy - let's connect on Goodreads!

5 Star Reads: January - June 2022

1. The Hating Game by Sally Thorne
I loved the interplay between the characters, and the office enemies-to-lovers was such a good setting.  Very well done with lovable characters, amazing details, and a twist that made my heart go pitter-patter!

2. The Brown Sisters trilogy by Talia Hibbert
For the sake of saving space, I'll lump all three together, but make no mistake - each of these books was a five star read on its own.  I've re-read them all, and will do so again; they are among my all-time favorites.  
The first book, Get a Life, Chloe Brown, features the wonderful duo of Chloe and Red who each make erroneous assumptions about the other but end up coming together for a common goal.  Teamwork makes the dream work, and in this case the romance is definitely what I would call "dreamy."  
In book two, Take a Hint, Dani Brown, Dani thinks she doesn't have time for relationships, but is on the search for a friend-with-benefits.  Romantic security guard Zafir has been crushing on Dani from afar, and when he rescues her from a drill gone wrong the internet ships them hard.  This fake-dating workplace romance is a reminder to open your eyes to all the possibilities, and just take the hint!  
The final book in the trilogy, Act Your Age, Eve Brown, is my favorite (if I could give it six stars on Goodreads, I would have).  Eve has a carefree approach to life, Jacob does not.  When she ends up working at his bed and breakfast they clash time and time again.  But Eve's sunshine-y personality starts to melt Jacob's icy exterior and they discover they may have more in common than either of them could have imagined.  I reviewed Eve's book here: Act Your Age, Eve Brown by Talia Hibbert


3. From Lukov with Love by Mariana Zapata
I have so much to say about this book, but I have a post drafted up with my ranting thoughts already, so I'll keep it simple for now. This is another enemies-to-lovers romance, with the added bonus of being a sports/workplace romance as well.  There are all the usual tropes, but mastered in new ways that had me seconds away from squealing out loud while I read.  Ivan and Jasmine have such hot chemistry it's amazing the ice doesn't melt beneath their skates!



4. Overground Railroad: The Green Book and the Roots of Black Travel in America by Candace A. Taylor
One of two non-fiction books on this list, but also one of the most deserving of all the stars.  I had never heard of the Green Book before reading, but the connection of the Underground Railroad and Black travelers is translated in a modern way that keeps readers connected to the subject material.  History is linked to present day politics, and the Green Book is examined in the context of its annual publications but also placed within modern contexts to emphasize how the problems have not been solved or corrected.  The pages are also intertwined with the author's personal experience and family stories, and it is overall very educational and extremely well-written.

5. Ten Trends to Seduce Your Bestfriend by Penny Reid
This is the grumpy/sunshine, enemies-to-lovers, kicka** women in STEM book you need in your life!  The main characters have great chemistry (it's true and also a science reference ;) and it has great examples of healthy communication and problem-solving.  I reviewed this book, so you can see my full thoughts here: Ten Trends to Seduce Your Bestfriend by Penny Reid

6. The Marriage Game by Sara Desai
Although this one is a reread, it's held up as a 5 star choice.  The first in a series, this book focuses on Sam and Layla as they fight over an office space.  When Layla decides to get married, Sam ends up as the male chaperone on many of her dates.  Sparks fly as these two bicker, and the more dates Layla and Sam attend, the less they seem to matter.  Full review here: The Marriage Game by Sara Desai


7. Bravely by Maggie Stiefvater
Maggie Stiefvater is one of my favorite authors, and this book just cements that.  A continuation of the Pixar movie Brave, this novel explores more of the magic and mythology of Scotland while acknowledging the growth of the characters we came to love in the film.  I cannot imagine any other author would have done this justice.  My full rave review is here: Bravely by Maggie Stiefvater




8. The One Month Boyfriend by Roxie Noir
The fake dating trope gets turned on its head and both Kat and Silas are forced together for the sake of taking down a mutual enemy.  I am half in love with both of the main characters and the poetic and emotionally charged way the author writes.  I've reviewed this one as well, and you can find all my thoughts here: The One Month Boyfriend by Roxie Noir

9. The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang
Another reread, and one I've been itching to read again!  Michael looks at Stella and sees perfection where she only notices her flaws (and vice-versa), and that dynamic just really gets me.  While the way they meet is certainly unconventional (even for a romance novel!), these two were certainly meant to be.


10. Women Don't Owe You Pretty by Florence Given
Essentially a collection of feminist essays by Florence Given, I feel like this book kicked me into high-gear and opened my eyes to facets of society I had never noticed.  While Given is a U.K. author, her topics span countries and are so important for women today.  Notable chapter titles include: "How to Break Up with Yourself," "Women Do Not Exist to Satisfy the Male Gaze," and "Life's Short -- Dump Them."





These are my 5 star reads thus far, and I anticipate more to come as I continue to work my way through my TBR and discover new and exciting books in the next six months!

Comments

Top Posts

Reluctantly Yours by Erin Hawkins

Hello!

Bravely by Maggie Stiefvater