Reviewing Book Box Subscriptions

Did you know that, like with most things these days, books can come as a subscription service?  For today's blog post I'm doing something a little different.  Rather than reviewing a book for you, I'll do a quick review of the four major book box subscriptions that I've tried.  In other words, I bought them so you don't have to!  (Although of course, since I enjoyed most of them, I do recommend you try at least one if you're interested.)  And just a note: this content is not in any way sponsored.  All thoughts are my own honest opinions about the boxes and the items I've received through them.

Book Box #1: Book of the Month (BOTM)

I started Book of the Month thanks to a gift of a 3-month subscription from my aunt.  The main thing to note with BOTM is that this subscription is only books - in the other three boxes I review, bookish merchandise/items are included. Book of the Month picks out five new books each month for its subscribers.  With your subscription, you take your pick of one of the five.  Then you can add on additional books for more money or stick with what your subscription buys.  In addition, the options are always varied, so no matter what you're likely to find one you'll enjoy (and if not, you can skip and have your credits roll over to the next month!).  I never went with this option so I'm not entirely certain, but I believe that in your add-ons you can choose books from months past as well.  
A BOTM option with part of the box

Some benefits to this box: The books are all the same size so they look great next to each other on your shelves.  They are also all hardcover books with special dust jackets that indicate they are from BOTM.  Additionally, some of their books are available before their bookstore release!  While getting an individual book is about the same price as a hardcover book, overall they are a little cheaper.  
Price: BOTM offers your first book for $9.99, and then every month after that you pay $14.99.  Any add-ons are $9.99.  

Book Box #2: LitJoy Crate

I kept seeing LitJoy Crate all over bookstagram, and eventually caved and decided I needed to try it.  I bought their September 2020 box, so the theme was Favorite Fictional Families.  (Note: as of this year, 2021, LitJoy moved to quarterly book boxes rather than monthly.)  In the box, I got a book fitting the theme and 5-6 bookish items from fandoms that also connect to the theme.  Typically, the book is a surprise as are the items, although the fandoms are announced so you know how they connect.  LitJoy also has some special edition books and collections.

My thoughts: While I was very excited about the book, most of the items were somewhat of a letdown.  This is partially my fault - I got the box knowing I was not a huge fan of some of the fandoms inside.  For example, Twilight and Shadowhunters were two of the fandoms and I either don't like or haven't read the books.  So those items were very quickly put them off to the side.  Additionally, even with the fandoms I enjoyed I felt like most of the items were not very good quality.
Favorite item: LitJoy last year was doing a collection of mini-teacups!  So I got a mini Narnia teacup and saucer, and the whole thing is very cute.


Price: LitJoy's full-crate option is $34.99, which you would pay four times through the year for their quarterly boxes.  You can also buy only the book for $23.99 or only the items for $23.99.

Book Box #3: OwlCrate

OwlCrate is another one I found all over bookstagram!  I actually purchased my OwlCrate before the Litjoy Crate because this one was cheaper at the time, so I started with the August 2020 'Written in the Stars' box.  Like with LitJoy, the box came with the featured book as well as 6 bookish items from various fandoms.  Again with this subscription, the book is a surprise although the theme and the fandoms are announced, and if you follow them on social media or subscribe to their newsletter there are two spoilers announced for the box.  The spoilers are very minor however - for example, you might learn that you're getting a fabric item designed by X artist, and instead of showing you the exact item that will come in your box they show past examples of the artist's work that is similar.
Nov. 2020 'Growing Wild' Crate

Pros: Almost all of their items are designed or made by independent artists and small businesses, which is really incredible.  The items I've received have all been great quality and many of them are useable items that are good for more than sitting on a shelf - in my most recent box (February 2021) I got a hairbrush!  Additionally, OwlCrate always does special edition covers, and their books often have some with some sort of extra, such as sprayed edges or metallic embossing on the hardcover.
Metallic embossing next to art of the
special edition cover for The Gilded Ones by Namina Forna

Cons:  Occasionally, some of the items are pretty strange or obscure in that while they're usable, I'll likely never use them.  The shipping cost for this box also went up in price recently and is now one of the more expensive options I've found for book box subscriptions.  (Though I do think it is worth it in many cases!)
Price: Monthly subscription to OwlCrate costs $32.99.  However, with shipping I believe I ended up paying closer to $43 per month.

Book Box #4: FairyLoot

Also a bookstagram find, FairyLoot was a crate I didn't actually know that much about.  They're based in the U.K. although I believe they do also have a base in the U.S.  One month, I didn't like the upcoming month's theme for OwlCrate and decided to try out a new box in the meantime.  In December 2020 I got the 'Thick as Thieves' box from FairyLoot.  This subscription is similar to LitJoy and OwlCrate - you get the book and 5-6 items based on other fandoms, all surprises except for minor spoilers about artists.  One of the aspects that makes FairyLoot unique is their special editions.  FairyLoot has sent out books from previous boxes with stenciled edges, creating a beautiful effect.  Not every book has stenciled edges of course, but it's a artistic choice I haven't seen other book boxes do.
FairyLoot edition of Lore by Alexandra Bracken
with sprayed and stenciled edges

My thoughts: Getting this crate after OwlCrate was a bit of a letdown because I was spoiled by the artists and small businesses.  Most of FairyLoot's items are also designed by independent artists but the packaging and quality gives them a very fresh-out-of-the-factory feel while OwlCrate's feel more personal and homey.  Almost all of their items are useful items, which I really liked.  FairyLoot also does a great job pairing their fandoms with the theme - in the case of the two boxes I got from them, I was familiar with all the books referenced in the items which makes it a little more fun to unbox.
Favorite item: One of the boxes included a letter opener based on Damaris from the Throne of Glass series.  In other words, I now own a tiny sword!
Dec. 2020 'Thick as Thieves' box

Price: Each FairyLoot box is priced at $33.90.  U.S. shipping for each box is an additional $9.99.

If you're thinking about purchasing a book box subscription, hopefully this helps you decide which one is right for you!  And don't forget to check the social media for each of these companies - I know the last three have reps you can find on their instagram, and where there is a rep there is a rep code you can use for a discount.  I don't think BOTM has reps but they do occasionally have sales, so keep an eye out for those too.  I have my eye on a few other book boxes I want to try once I build my savings up a bit more, so I might do another one of these posts as well!  If you would be interested in reading more book box reviews or if you have a suggestion of a book box you think I might like, feel free to share, either in the comments here or over on my bookstagram (@bookworminkayla).  
(Speaking of bookstagram, all photos in this post are mine and can be found on my bookstagram.)

Comments

Top Posts

Reluctantly Yours by Erin Hawkins

Hello!

Bravely by Maggie Stiefvater